Tuesday, May 31, 2011

MAH!

Per request of my lovely mother, I've decided to share yet another native american story from the DQ.

So when someone is on headset for the drive thru, everyone else gets the orders together and hands them out the window. I was buddying with someone one afternoon and this native woman came to the window. When I handed her her change and said, "here you go" she said, "In blackfoot when you say 'Here', you say 'MAH!'" (emphasis on the "ah")
So being the people pleaser that I am I decided to test this baby out. So as I handed the next thing out I said "MAH!" in my best native accent. I could tell she was pleased by her outburst of laughter. There was one more thing to hand out the window so I told one of the high school girls to hand it out the window and say "MAH!" when she did. She was a weakling and just said "here", to which the woman replied, "Where is the MAH! girl, I like her better!?" What can I say, I'm popular?

Anyways, a week or so ago we decided to cross the border (only 20 min south of here) and take a scenic drive in St. Mary's Glacier Park. It was beautiful and it was so nice to get out and see some of the beautiful mountains that are out here.

We drove up as far as we could, with 5-6 ft. snow drifts on either side of the road. We stopped at one place where there was a beautiful lookout. The area had a river running through it and the water was so clear. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't VERY tempted to just ladle some of that goodness into my mouth.

Here are some of the pictures from our trip, enjoy!









2 comments:

  1. hahaha! I loved your stories about the natives! Glad you guys are having a good time up there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a BEAUTIFUL part of the country! How fun.

    ReplyDelete