Sunday, August 28, 2011

Much Needed Update

What a past couple of weeks...let me tell you.

So this drought of posting all started with the journey from Canada back down to Provo. Before leaving Jason and I figured it would be a piece of cake that I would simply find some willing friends, rent a truck from home depot for only $20, and move into our apartment with absolutely no problem.

Wrong.

It looked great at first, lets be honest. I had my very willing friends who I was SO grateful for, BUT on the day that I wanted to move there was no truck. I would just like to give a shout out to the individual who had the home depot rental truck from the early hours of the morning until home depot closed. Thanks, 'preciate ya. This put quite the damper on our move in. I had to enlist the help of more friends as Jason and I decided the best way to move in would to be to rent a U-Haul for a few hours. So after sleeping on the floor for a few more nights, we waited for the weekend, we got our U-Haul, and our wonderful friends moved us in within hours. So....THANK YOU to the Colt and the Ricks families for helping us!

In other news, I survived my first week of teaching! Phew.... It was rough. Even though I'm only teaching half time and have 2 subjects, it's still been a really hard adjustment. I love my school and the people that I work with. The only downside is my school was built in 1954 and is the oldest school in our district. Other schools were chosen before ours to be re-built that weren't as old. This is pretty much a major bummer since our school has ZERO air conditioning. Yep, that's right. So on those days it's 98 degrees outside, it's around 92 degrees in my classroom. Awesome. The district even made a phone call out to all our students that if the heat was affecting them, they would be excused from school last Thursday and Friday. This whole heat issue has been something I've really had to get used to. The first couple of days I didn't understand why I felt so sick. Then I realized that I was getting so dehydrated throughout the day that it was making me sick and exhausted. Over the next couple of days I figured I needed to drink at least 5 water bottles a day to even keep up with how hot it is in my classroom. Pretty ridiculous, but we're surviving. We're hoping to get swamp coolers this week in our classrooms, so keep your fingers crossed!

Here are a couple pictures of my classroom...mostly for my mother :)


I have to look at this picture at least a few times a day



Nothin special, but I love it! I share a room with a teacher who is half-time in the morning, hence all the teacher desks.

Moving on, I am SO glad to have Jason back. He came home a week ago and I couldn't be happier to have him here, especially for my first week of teaching. He has been such a wonderful support. He starts the accounting program tomorrow and it's going to be a very intense 8 months in the Junior Core for him. He's ready to work hard and I know he's going to do great in this program.

Good luck to everyone else starting school tomorrow!

1 comment: